Our History

 

A Brief History of Covenant Community Church

1928 A small meeting of Christians in the Gun Club of Silver Subdivision, Redford Township
   
1931 Meeting at Roosevelt School on Aubrey
   
1933 Meeting in a real estate office at present location, an implement shed with the notorious "metel roof" added: Part time and circuit ministers served the church
   
1938 February 13, the church organized and formed a non-denominational community testimony as Covenant Community Church of Redford Township
   
1939 John L. Drummond ordained and called as the first full time Pastor
   
1940 First building project completed (basement auditorium)
   
1942 Mr. & Mrs. Harvey Hammond were the first missionaries supported by the church
   
1944 Pioneer Girls started by Mrs. Ann Wilcox McDonald
   
1947 Basement of present church constructed
   
1949 Present sanctuary dedicated
   
1950 Boys Brigade was started
   
1951 South educational wing completed
   
1954 Third floor added to south wing
   
1955 Peak Sunday School attendance of 1,718
   
1958 North wing construction completed
   
1963 25th Anniversary Service
   
1966 Annex added to sanctuary
   
1968 Library Established, Virginia Nelson, Chairman
   
1973 Rev. John L. Drummond retired with the title Pastor Emeritus
   
1974 Rev. H. Dalton Myers called to be Pastor
   
1978 Ramp and completion of Fellowship Annex
   
1983 Financially debt free. Update of sanctuary and educational units launched
   
1986 Remodeled church dedicated
   
1987 New missionary map installed in atrium
   
1988 50th Anniversary celebration; church archives begun in library
   
1992 Fire destroys ministry house on Centralia
   
1995 McIntyre ministry house on Norborn given as gift to church, "melt the morgage" project begun
   
1998 60th Anniversary, financially debt free, remodeling mortgage retired
   
1999 Pastor and Wanda Myers' 25 years of service celebration
   
2000 20th anniversary celebration-Suburban Detroit Missions Consortium
   
2003 Expansion and reconstruction of north parking lot
   
2004 Pastor H. Dalton Myers retired: construction of new sanctuary roof
   
2005 Pastor Cole T. Westwood called as Pastor
   
  Give Thanks for our God is Good!
our history 1
our history 2
our history 3
our history 4
our history 5
our history 6
our history 7